- VSNet Variable Star Network
- ADS Abstracts
- ADS Astrophysical Data Service | mirror site
- Acta Astronomica
- Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Astronomy and Astrophysics Review
- Astronomical Jurnal
- Astrophysical Journal (ApJ) | mirror site
- Astrophysics and Space Science
- Information Bulletin of Variable Stars
- Open European Journal on Variable stars
- Springer Information Service
- Electronic Publications for Astronomers
- Sky and Telescope
- URANIA - Postepy Astronomii
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific
- Handbook of Space Astronomy and Astrophysics by M.V. Zombeck is available on-line thanks to Cambridge University Press.
- The Digital Sky Survey
- Minnesota Automatic Plate Scanner Catalog (MAPS)
- Scans of the National Geographic-Palomar Observatory Sky Survey (POSS I) blue (O) and red (E) plates.
- Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS)
- ESO slice project
- A galaxy redshift survey covering 30 square degrees near the South Galactic Pole, complete up to bJ=19.4. It includes the redshifts of 3,000 galaxies.
- Two degree Field
- (2dF) QSO redshift survey: will determine the large scale tridimensional structure of the universe up to z~0.1 by measuring the redshift of 250,000 galaxies.
- An EUV/X-ray satellite surveying the sky to map the diffuse soft X-ray background, to study flaring stars and make observations of EUV sources.
- NRAO VLA Sky Survey cover the sky northof dec.-40 degr. Frequency - 1.4GHz, resolution - 45", limiting brightness - 2.5 mJy/beam
- DRAGN Atlas
- VLA Faint Images of the Radio Sources at 20 cm
+On-line multi-wavelength data
- An interface to obtain images from radio through gamma ray wavelengths
- HST, ESO's NTT and CFHT archives
- Astronomical Digital Image Library
- "books" with FITS images taken at different wavelengths.
- Centre des Donneés Astronomiques de Strasbourg (CDS)
- Simbad astronomical object database
- VizieR catalogue service
- Aladin sky atlas
- Dictionary of Astronomical Nomenclature
- Information & On-line Data in Astronomy" (http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/data-online.html) (Egret & Albrecht 1995).
- Opacity project atomic data
- IUE ULDA (French host)
- NASA Extragalactic Database (NED)
- National Space Science Data Center (NSSDC)
- data obtained with several NASA missions. Not only astronomical images and spectra are included, but also space plasma data and Earth and space photographs.
- High Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Reserch Center (HEASARC)
- Astronomical Data Center (ADC)
- More than 800 catalogs and 750tables culled from the literature. The ADC produced 3 CD-ROMs with astronomical catalogs (a fourth one will be available at the end of 1997). A list of the recently incorporated catalogs is included in the monthly ADC Newsletter distributed electronically and also stored at the ADC site.
- Lyon-Meudon Extragalactic Data Base (HyperLEDA)
- 3 million objects, of which 1.5 million are galaxies.
- Time Service from US Naval Observatory.
- time and date
- The most widely used astronomical reduction and analysis package is IRAF.
- The Astronomical Software Directory Service (http://asds.stsci.edu/asds/) is a collection of
software-related documents and the means for performing full-text searches on
them. This collection is made of the high level package
descriptions and on-line documentation.Users can browse the contents
or list their software in the ASDS.
Selected packages are available on-line at the Starlink Software Store. The distribution method is changing as the primary method will be by CD-ROM instead.
- The Interactive Data Language (IDL) developed by
RSI is widely used for reduction and analysis. It is a
commercial package with ports to many systems from laptops to workstations.
- Linux for astronomy
- The Random Factory
publishes a CD-ROM with a
collection of the most popular reduction and analysis astronomical software
that run under the Linux operating system.
The packages include:
- AIPS and MIRIAD for radioastronomy
- IRAF and MIDAS
GIPSY and Karma for image processing
- PGPLOT/PGPERL for plotting and
- NEMO for stellar dynamics simulations
and SAOtng for image display
- StarBase an astronomy database
- AIPS and MIRIAD for radioastronomy